Building Lakewood Center
By December 10, 1950, work on excavating the basements of the May Company and mall shops had begun.
The May Company's agreement to build a 345,000-square-foot store, the company’s largest suburban store, began the development of Lakewood Center. Prudential Insurance then agreed to underwrite the enormous development costs. The distinguished architectural firm of A. C. Martin and Associates was given the commission to design the May Company building and lay out the shops that would line a half-mile-long pedestrian mall.
William A. Garnett photograph
Lakewood CentermallshoppingMacy'shistoryhistorical photographs